Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Countdown to Christmas!


I had a friend that posted several of their families pre-Christmas traditions on her blog. I thought it was a great idea and fun to remember some of the things we do each year in preparation for the big day. We never spend Christmas at our own home, so most of the traditions we have in our small family are in preparation for the big day!

We start by getting a REAL Christmas tree as soon as we can after Thanksgiving. This is a tradition that Nicc insisted on and has ended up being a LOT of fun! The nice thing about living where we do is we only have to travel about 10 minutes before we are in prime Christmas tree country!

We all decorate the Christmas tree together and add a new ornament each year. This year I added one for our family and Davin helped make one of his own.

I love to decorate our home. I can not believe how much stuff we have accumulated over the past few years! I actually had to start putting decorations in many rooms!

We of course go see Santa, although it is not a tradition that we are all fond of! Davin is slowly warming up. When we went to see Santa he wanted nothing to do with him, however, he and I were in the mall in Idaho Falls and he asked to go see Santa, so we did. This time he walked up to him and stood next to him all on his own but refused to look at him or talk to him (until he gave him a candy cane)!

We have just recently started making treats! I hate to cook, bake, or do much of anything if it requires a kitchen, however, this year we made some simple yummies. One of our favorites are chocolate covored pretzels, in fact we seem to make these for most holidays now!

I have to pu up my Nativity set! I have been collecting it piece by piece since I was quite young! I didn't even pu all of the piece out this year! Davin enjoys looking at it over and over again--he will climb up the piano to do so, I am just scared to death I am going to lose a piece as he picks it up to examine it for the 40th time!

Nicc and I love to read a story each day of December from this book (my mom gave it to us several years ago). We still bawl in all of the stories even though we know how they are going to end.
Hope you all have a wonderful time celebrating Christmas with your own traditions!!!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

What fun traditions, we do a lot of the same things! Your treats looks so yummy, good job! I sorry to hear about your bathroom experience, it must be the boys. Good luck with the potty training also. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Jill Asay said...

I love your christmas count down sign...where did you get it (or how did you make it)!

Anonymous said...

What fun traditions, thank you for sharing!

McKenzie Larson said...

Your treats were yummy! Thanks so much! And your Christmas decorations are adorable.

Megan J. Dawson said...

Hey Aimee! Megan Jenkins here, I just got your blog address from my Mom's Christmas card. It's so fun to see what a sweet family you have. Our address is familyofthedawsons.blogspot.com. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!