Friday, April 17, 2009

Tonsillectomy--yucky stuff!

This morning I was wondering how I was going to survive! I sent my baby in for surgery--yes, just a minor surgery to remove his tonsils and adenoids, but it was still a surgery. I laid awake half the night thinking about things that could go wrong and was just a mess this morning. Davin was so good in pre-op! He just did not want to take off his spider man PJs to put on the gown! He finally agreed and then didn't even cry when they took him back. That was when the real worrying began and I didn't stop until the doctor came out!

All turned out well. The doctor was really great! Davin's tonsils were very large (just like his mommy's I guess) and he has a very deep palate and a spine that comes forward quite far so he has a very narrow airway anyway, thus any swelling of the tonsils or adenoids would surely cause him a great deal of problem. We found out that Davin is VERY sensitive to narcotics (so what this means is my son would be a very bad drug addict!). They put him under using a gas and then ran the IV which had some codeine dripping through it. Well, as soon as they added the codeine the anesthesiologist noted that Davin was having gaps in his breathing so stopped it right away. I am so grateful that he was attuned to Davin because the anesthesia was my biggest fear anyway! Because Davin could not take the codeine he was unable to get the shot that they usually give them to help when they wake up in so much pain. And he did wake up in pain! When we got back there he was screaming at the nurse to take out the IV (which was the size of his little arm)! We stayed in recovery for about an hour waiting for Davin to take in some liquids via IV or drink some juice. Finally Davin, after kicking and screaming, agreed and took a drink of juice and as soon as he finished stuck his arm out at the nurse for her to take out his IV and said "OK, I did it!" We came home and he has just laid around the rest of the day, sleeping on and off, but still in a lot of pain. It seems like even the prescription pain killer isn't doing much.

We are enjoying just laying around, and it was sure nice to have an extra lazy day with Daddy. I am so grateful that everything went well and for all the prayers that were offered in Davin's behalf! I truly hope that this is something I do not have to go through again any time soon--or ever! I can think of nothing else that I have disliked about motherhood as much as this!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh how scary! I would have been so worried too! I'm glad that it all turned out well in the end. I hope Davin feels better soon!

Harris Family said...

I agree-such a scary thing to go through as a parent. Brennen had his tonsils and adnoids out the same age as Davin. As you were describing your feelings there, it brought back my bad memories of that time. I'm sorry! I wish I would have known, I could have brought your family dinner or something! I'm glad he's ok! These little kids amaze me at how quickly they recover from these things. Call if you need anything!